Thursday, June 21, 2007

A cancelled hypermiling interview ...

A certain reporter from a local news broadcasting organization called me a week ago , with a request to appear in a daily show concerning hypermiling and other fuel saving techniques (I will conceal the details until such time it is appropriate to disclose them) . At the time, I agreed to honour the request provided that I got a glimpse of the interview script. It will become apparent why I added that condition ;)

Anyhow, today this reporter finally got a hold of me with the script, and after a short discussion I expressed concerns about the overall leanings of the questions and how it appeared that it was dismissive of many hypermiling and even ecodriving techniques. I explained to the reporter that much of the questions appeared designed to create a poor image of hypermilers as dangerous and selfish people concerned only about driving slowly and drafting perilously close to 18-wheelers.

I also made evident my disappointment with the lack of time allocated to me for the purpose of providing a good description and definition of the techniques involved and how they could make a difference in the amount of fuel we consume and pollution we produce all the while increasing the safety factor on our streets. That would obviously "de-fang" their show and sensationalism factor.

Anyway, given the traditionally "conservative" leanings of this bradcasting organization I was not totally surprised by their reluctance to neuter their program so that it could be more informative.

Anyway... others will certainly come who are more balanced and beneficial to a cause greater than temselves. When that happens, I may agree to an interview or two.

Cheers;

No comments:

Post a Comment